What is pre-employment screening (PES)?
Pre-employment screening (PES) involves screening future employees. Determining their integrity and reliability as well as measuring the level of risk are of equal importance.
Pre-employment screening helps employers to avoid risks. Organisations who apply pre-employment screening have 43% more chance to book ‘best-in-class’ results than organisations who do not. Pre-employment screening also helps employers to select candidates with the most potential. The quality of hiring new personnel increases with 7% when performing pre-employment screening. It can also be valuable in the prevention of losses due to theft, injury, drug and/or alcohol abuse, insurance claims, foolishness and carelessly hiring new employees.
Pre-employment screening can be requested because law requires it, or when an organisation deems it necessary. This is often the case when a function includes sensitive elements. Integrity is often checked during pre-employment screening. This human characteristic is closely linked to a conscientious personality and defined as independent, righteous, reliable, loyal, committed, dedicated, accurate, open, clear and honest.
What can be screened via pre-employment screening?
The following can be screened prior to hiring a candidate:
- Identity document
- Credentials / education
- Work experience
- Credit rating:
- Payment behaviour
- Corporate information
- Civil rights rulings (Insolvency register)
- Receivership database
- (Personal) integrity statement
- Self-employment check (Declaration of Independent Contractor Status, VAT, COC)
- Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC)
- Criminal records in other countries
- Online profile
- Politically Exposed Persons (PEP) and sanction lists
- Sector-specific registrations (e.g. Credit Registration Office, NV
- Job-specific registers (e.g. BIG, DSI)
- Custom Check: client-specific requests such as: code of conduct, confidentiality, pay slip, etc.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING IN SHORT
Pre-employment screening is
verifying specific facts of a potential candidate relating to/concerning
his/her future function/job position and aims to minimise risks.back to employment screening